Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Can you come out and play?

Well, we are just a few days away from the premiere of my play, Love Wins. I'm going to post on the creation process and interviews with the cast in the coming weeks. It's been a very exciting process and as stressful as a 13 year old trying to get on stage with Justin Beiber.

I've always loved screenwriting and I've embraced literary writing, especially through YA (which doesn't consist of angst-ridded Vampwolves or Were-pires). Last year my college was hosting a big stageplay contest. I had never written a play before and I talked myself out of it. How often does that happen with you? Do you discourage yourself out of projects?

It was a few days before the deadline and I decided I would give it a try. I came up with an idea. So I wrote it and sent it off. Oh, how wonderful the feeling of a completed work. It's like jumping in a pool of chocolate without the fear of Agustus Gloot's fate...or hearing songs from the tiny orange George Washingtons. Weeks passed and I received an email that I was one of the winners. I was pumped. It was the first writing contest I had won. The prize was having my play performed for two weekends for a total of six showings. There is nothing better than a win to motivate you on to the next thing.

Since that motivation, I've written, starred and produced a sold out murder mystery play and a couple of dramas. I submitted another play for a contest and was informed that I was one of the winners a couple of weeks ago.

I'm now in the process of opening night of my newest play, Love Wins. I've taken on the role of writer, director, and producer. It features an original song written and performed by the star. This has been a ton of hard work and fun. Tonight is the last practice before the dress rehearsal tomorrow night. There are great things in store for this. I'm already extremely proud of all the actors and the hard work they've put in.

Time to go play...

No comments:

Post a Comment